As Easter is rapidly approaching don’t forget to avoid leaving those tempting tasty easter eggs out where your pets can tuck into them! There are many potential poisons for both cats and dogs around the Easter time. Here is some information to cover a few of them but if you are ever concerned that your cat or dog has ingested something they shouldn’t have eaten please dont hesitate to contact your local Swayne & Partners branch to speak to one of our vets.

Chocolate

Your dog wont be the first or the last to complete devour a dark chocolate easter egg! However it is important to recognise if it has happened, the type of chocolate ingested and the amount if possible. We also often need to know an approximate weight of your cat or dog. The first thing we need to do is to assess if the chocolate eaten is dark chocolate, milk chocolate or white chocolate. The reason behind this is the level of theobromine contained within the different types of chocolate with dark having the most and white the least. Theobromine is a chemical which can cause clinical signs of restlessness, vomiting, diarrhoea and the worse case scenario of seizures. If in any doubt please contact us to discuss the amount of chocolate your dog has eaten.

Hot cross buns

We all like to enjoy hot cross buns and Simnel Cakes at Easter but remember these are toxic for your pets! They contain raisins, sultanas and currants. These are all forms of dried grapes and similar to fresh grapes can cause acute onset renal failure. The clinical signs can include vomiting, diarrhoea, anorexia and increased drinking. If you have seen your dog or cat ingest dried fruit please bring them down to the surgery as soon as possible to make them vomit. If vomiting does not occur then we always recommend supportive treatment for the kidneys.

Easter Lillies

Certain types of lilies are toxic to cats this includes the pollen, leaves, petals or the water the flowers are in. Ingestion causes damage to the kidneys, again if you have seen your cat ingest or lick any part of lilies please contact us immediately – treatment required maybe to make the cat vomit any ingested pieces of plant or supportive treatment for their kidneys.

As you can see there are many hidden poisons around the home, if you have any questions our vets are more than happy to discuss any concerns over the phone.

Content by Aimee Barker MA VetMB MRCVS