As you head into the garden to plant some bulbs or improve your lawn or flowerbeds by treating the weeds, it is important we remind you that some plants and fertilizers can be toxic to your pet this springtime.

Spring flowers with bulbs e.g. tulips, daffodils, Narcissus and hyacinths can be particularly dangerous to dogs when ingested, especially the skin at the bottom of the bulb. Mild symptoms include nausea, vomiting and diarrhoea. More severe symptoms can include heart and respiratory failure.

Organic fertilisers are more dangerous than other fertilisers as they are often made of bone, blood or feather meal (making them very smelly and tasty to your dog!). These can form obstructions in the intestines of dogs and cause vomiting, diarrhoea and pancreatitis.

Many, many species of Lilies are highly toxic to cats. The pollen, the leaves, the stems and even the water from the vase of the lilies can cause severe kidney failure. Signs of ingestion and poisoning include lethargy, vomiting, diarrhoea and seizures.

Crocus plants and lily of the valley is also toxic.

If you are concerned your pet has ingested anything toxic, either inside or outside of the home get in contact with us as soon as possible 24/7, 365 days a year.

If you are ever unsure if an item you have purchased is a threat to your pet the link below has lots of useful lists and also has a number you can phone to speak to someone who can research this for you…

www.petpoisonhelpline.com