Amongst all the craziness in the world at the moment don’t forget about the hidden Easter dangers for your pets. We don’t want an unexpected visit to the surgery with a situation that could be avoided. What are the Easter toxins?

Chocolate

Fingers crossed that you have managed to secure some chocolate for this weekend, if it is anything like toilet roll it is worth it’s weight in gold! But remember to not leave the eggs in easy access especially for your pups! Chocolate is toxic to both dogs and cats due to theobromine an ingredient in chocolate. When consumed it can cause vomiting, excitement, wobbliness, even seizures. If your dog does eat chocolate please call your nearest Swaynes branch as we made need to make them vomit to prevent them from absorbing the chocolate. Dark chocolate is more dangerous than milk chocolate, but it depends on the size of the dog and amount eaten. To be safe always give us a call!

Raisins/ sultanas and grapes

A common treat over Easter are hot cross buns which contain a lot of dried fruit, unless you go for the more unusual flavour combinations! Grapes, sultanas and raisins are very toxic to your pets, if ingested they can cause vomiting, diarrhoea and acute kidney failure. We would always advise to bring your pet to us to make them vomit, followed by supportive treatment to prevent any risk of developing kidney failure.

Easter Lillies

We include these purely for their name! All parts of this plant are toxic to our feline friends. Any ingestion can cause vomiting, depression and kidney failure. It is very important to bring them straight down to us to try and make them vomit to bring any plant material up, followed by supportive fluids to prevent kidney failure.

We hope the above provides some useful information of how you can keep your pets safe this Easter but still get to enjoy some tasty chocolate!

Happy Easter from all the staff at Swayne & Partners – we are here if you need us.